- 1 p.m.
- 1st Wednesday of each month
- City Hall
2200 Second St.
Fort Myers, FL 33901
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes
All agenda, minutes, and other related materials will be accessible when available.
Members of the Planning Board shall be either residents of the city, own property in the city, own a business in the city, or work in the city. The Planning Board consists of eleven members. Each councilperson and the mayor shall nominate one member, and the mayor and city council shall collectively nominate four members at-large. Members serve for a three-year term.
The Planning Board shall consist of members who are professional and shall be selected from the disciplines of:
- Civil engineering
- Environmental planning
- Landscape architecture
- Other related disciplines
- Real estate
- Traffic planning
- Urban planning
A member must be present for 75% of the meetings in a 12-month period or the chair may declare the member's office vacant.
The members of the board shall be sworn by the city clerk to perform the duties of the office. Statement of Financial Interest, Form 1 is required to be filed annually. The duties of the board are as follows:
- Assume the responsibility for the preparation of the comprehensive plan and amendments thereto, after public hearings to be held after due public notice, and make recommendations to the City Council regarding the adoption of such plan or element, or portion thereof.
- Conduct the comprehensive planning program, including the responsibility to monitor and oversee the effectiveness and status of the Comprehensive Plan.
- Recommend to the City Council such changes in the comprehensive plan as may from time-to-time be required and to the land development regulations and other mechanisms that implement the comprehensive plan.
- Adopt rules of procedure and policies for the administration of the comprehensive planning program.
- Promote public interest in comprehensive planning.
- Request the assistance of and receive information from the community development department in relation to planning board work.
- Review and recommend to the City Council as to the relationship to the Comprehensive Plan of proposed land development regulations or amendments thereto.
- Review and recommend to the City Council as to the relationship to the comprehensive plan of proposed development to be undertaken by the city. It is the intent of this subsection that no development shall be undertaken by, nor actions taken in regard to development orders by the City Council or the Board of Adjustments until such proposals have been reviewed by the Planning Board and found to be consistent with the Comprehensive Plan.
- Act in the capacity of local planning agency, pursuant to Florida Statutes 163.3174.
- Coordinate the comprehensive planning program with the county, region and state planning programs and with local civic organizations.
- Review and make recommendations to the Board of Adjustments regarding conditional uses.
- Review and make recommendations to the City Council regarding rezonings, including rezoning to a Planned Unit Development (PUD), and regarding text amendments to this Land Development Code.
- Review and make recommendation to the City Council regarding development agreements.