About Community Development
The City of Fort Myers Community Development Department has converted to the new Software, Tyler EnerGov. Please visit the EnerGov Customer Self Service Portal and watch our new instructional videos. Applying for Permits (video) and Inspections (video). Questions about EnerGov? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Permitting at 239-321-7925.
NEW COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT LOBBY HOURS
Beginning Monday February 1, 2021 the City of Fort Myers Community Development Department lobby doors on 1825 Hendry Street will close at 4 p.m.
Phone lines remain open from 7:30 am to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
The lobby will still open for business each morning at 7:30 a.m. Monday through Friday.
Please call Community Development staff at 239-321-7925 if there are any questions or concerns. Thank you.
The development activity map contains a selection of new development projects and investment activity within the City of Fort Myers.
The Midtown vision plan is a 243-acre area is the intense focus of the City's planning and visioning efforts.
Stay up to date on the latest Community Development news.
The Community Development Department’s mission statement is “Dedicated to serving the community with professionalism, integrity and compassion.”
We protect the quality of life of our citizens and visitors through the coordination of land use, zoning, code enforcement and the permit process for the City. We are happy to serve the public, help you through the development process, and provide the public with helpful advice about the City’s land use policies, procedures, and process.
The Community Development Department serves the citizens and visitors with properties located within the city limits of Fort Myers with a wide range of services associated with:
- Housing – Rehab, Down payment, Housing replacement
- Code Enforcement
- G.I.S. Mapping
- Building Inspections
- Comprehensive Planning
- Building Permitting
- Building Plan Review
- Planning & Zoning – Rezoning, Variances, Conditional Uses
We have five divisions in Community Development - Administration, Building, Permitting and Inspections, Planning, Code Enforcement, and Housing.
The Administrative Division including the Director and Assistant Director is responsible for:
- Administrative duties related to Office of the Director
- Customer service, cashiering, and cash handling
- Fiscal management and budget oversight
- GIS mapping
- Oversight of entire department operations
- Statistical reporting
- Real Estate staff is also within the Administration Division.
The BPI Division is responsible for:
- Application and plan review fees
- Building and Zoning Oversight Committee (BZOC)
- Contractor registration
- Plan review
The Planning Division is responsible for:
- Board of Adjustments – Variances, Conditional Uses, Appeals
- Business Tax Receipts (BRTs)
- Comprehensive Planning
- Current and Long Range Planning
- Historic Preservation
- Neighborhood Planning
- Planning Board
The Code Enforcement Division is responsible for:
- Staff for Code Enforcement Board
- Processing of Code Enforcement Liens and Code Cases
- Enforcement of City Code of Ordinances
- Rapid Response Team – lot mowing, securing structures, pick up signs in right of way.
The Housing Division is responsible for:
- Providing access to attainable housing
- Mortgage Assistance Program
- Housing Rehabilitation Program (CDBG and SHIP)
- Infill Housing Program