Common Code Violations

Trash & Debris

Any material that could be considered a nuisance or threat to public health and safety, may not accumulate on property within the City of Fort Myers such as:
  • Appliances
  • Building materials
  • Cans
  • Cardboard
  • Discarded furniture
  • Glass
  • Litter
  • Paper
  • Plastics

Wild Growth, High Grass & Weeds

Lawns, grass, weeds, and underbrush must be kept cut to no more than 12 inches in height on all property within the city. Property owners are also responsible for maintaining the same standard in their portions of the city right-of-way.

Abandoned Vehicles

Motor vehicles may not be abandoned, junked, or discarded on public or private property within the city unless completely enclosed in a building or part of a properly licensed business operation. All vehicles parked or stored on public or private property, except a licensed auto dealer, must adhere to the following regulations:
  • The vehicle must have a current license plate and proper registration.
  • The vehicle must be operational and roadworthy.
  • The vehicle must be parked on an improved surface.

Parking in Residential Areas

Commercial vehicles of 1.5 tons or more may not be parked or stored in residential areas. Boats, trailers, and RVs may be parked in the side or rear yards if not abandoned by definition. All other vehicles must be parked in the garage, carport, or on the designated driveway, or improved parking surfaces of the residential parcel. They may not be parked on the sidewalks, in the city right-of-way, or on the lawn.

Maintenance of Structures

Property owners are responsible for the maintenance of their property in such a manner as to comply with the city’s Code of Ordinances to ensure health, safety, property values, and that all structures remain in good working condition. This includes, but is not limited to, such common things as:
  • Broken or missing doors
  • Broken or missing windows
  • Leaking roofs
  • Mailboxes
  • Mold
  • Paint
  • Potholes
  • Rotted wood
  • Sewer
  • Sheds
  • Stairs
  • Utilities
  • Water

Address Numbers

To ensure prompt emergency response, address identification numbers are required to be posted on all buildings in a contrasting color and at a size of at least:
  • 4 inches tall for single family and duplex homes
  • 10 inches tall for commercial and multi-family structures


Signs may not be placed in any right-of-way or other location that could:
  • Interfere with vehicular or pedestrian traffic
  • Block a driver or pedestrian's view
  • Prevent exit from a door, window, or fire escape
  • Be attached to or painted on any tree, shrub, utility pole, fence, or door
Property owners are responsible to remove illegal signs from their properties, and the city has the right to remove any unlawful sign from private property. Most signs require a permit with application made to the Building Division.  Garage sale applications and signs are obtained from the Planning Division garage sales. Additional information regarding signs may be found in Chapter 126 of the City’s Code of Ordinances.

Trash & Recycling Collection

Every resident must have waste collection services. Trash and recycling may be placed at the curb in approved containers up to 24 hours before collection and shall be removed on the same day as pick up. Trash that spills prior to collection is the responsibility of the owner or occupant to clean up. Yard waste and junk may be stacked in compact piles within property lines and away from obstructions such as sidewalks, trees, poles, mailboxes, and power lines.

Horticultural refuse piles may be no larger than 10 cubic yards, and junk no larger than 4 cubic yards for regular weekly pickup. Public Works may be contacted for additional or special pickups as needed.


Most construction and site improvements require a permit. If you have a question as to whether or not a permit is required for a project, please contact the Building, Permitting and Inspections Division at 239-321-7925 and speak with the permitting staff prior to beginning. 

Business Tax

To operate any type of business within the city limits, a business tax receipt (formerly known as the Occupational License) and inspections are required prior to opening. City Code 82-201(a) states that it shall be unlawful for any person to engage in any trade, business, profession, or occupation within the city without a license, or through a license issued upon false statements made by any person, or on their behalf.

Animal Complaints

Most animal-related complaints should be referred to Lee County Animal Control. Farm animals may not be kept within 300 feet of any dwelling in the residential districts of the city.

For More Information

Please contact:
Community Development Department
Code Enforcement Division
1825 Hendry St.
Suite 101
Fort Myers, FL 33901