- Parks & Recreation
- Classes & Programs
- Lifeguard Certification Courses
Lifeguard Certification Courses
Shallow water Lifeguard certification course
Blended learning (online + classroom)
Dates & Times: TBD
Place: Fort Myers Aquatic Center; 1750 Matthew Drive, Fort Myers, FL 33907The course will prepare participants to make appropriate decisions about the care to provide in an aquatic emergency and a medical emergency. Will provide the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize, and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services arrive. All certifications from this course (Shallow Water Lifeguarding up to 6ft, First Aid, CPR/AED) are current for two years. Participants must also successfully complete a prerequisite swim evaluation BEFORE the online components and the first day of class.
Prerequisites & Registration fees-
Students must be able to successfully perform the swimming prerequisite which consists of:
- 100 yard continuous swim using front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both
- 2 minutes of treading water with hands in your arm pits without stopping
- Within 50 seconds swim 20 yards retrieve a brick at 4-5 feet deep and then swim or walk 20 yards back to the starting point while both hands are on the brick and face above the water.
- Exit the pool without using ladder or stairs.
Registration fee- $125.00 will be due after passing the prerequisites. We accept cash, check, credit/debit card or electronic payment such as Apple Pay, Samsung Pay etc. Once payment is received you will then be sent a link via email.
Certification Course Policies and Procedures
Students should come prepared for class with a print out showing successful completion of the online coursework. The course begins promptly at 2pm on Friday March 10th, 2023 at the Fort Myers Aquatic Center.
- Please call 239-321-7557 to schedule a time to complete and pass your prerequisites. This must be completed prior to registration and no later than a week prior to the first day of class.
- Minimum of three participants per class.
- Late participants will not be allowed to join the class, and will not be eligible for a refund.
- The online course work will be sent to participants at least one week prior to the course, or upon registration if they register within the week prior to the course.
- If the 3 participant minimum is not met by the cut off date, the course will be cancelled. Any current registrants will be allowed to roll their registration over to a next available course or receive a full refund.
- All participants are required to complete the online course section. If a participant fails to complete the online course section or in-person skill evaluations they will not receive a refund.
- Refunds requested a week prior to the course date will receive full refund. Any refund requested after a week prior to the course will be subject to a $75 processing fee.
If there are any questions regarding this course, please contact us at 239-321-7557.