THE CITY OF FORT MYERS HAS ISSUED A STATE OF LOCAL EMERGENCY AS A PRECAUTIONARY MEASURE.
At this time, an evacuation order has been issued by Lee County for all of Zone A and parts of Zone B in Cape Coral. This includes coastal and waterfront areas, as well as low-laying neighborhoods.
HURRICANE IAN IS EXPECTED TO MAKE LANDFALL IN THE TAMPA BAY AREA ON WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 28TH. FORT MYERS EXPECTS SUBSTANTIAL RAIN AND WINDS, WHICH COULD CREATE STORM SURGES.
Dunbar High School is the designated shelter within the City of Fort Myers. Additional shelters are:
- East Lee High School
- Island Coast High School
- Varsity Lakes Middle School
- South Fort Myers High School
- Oak Hammock Middle School
- Gateway High School
- Veterans Park Rec
- Estero Rec
- Hertz Arena
Lee Tran Bus Route 10 will be available at 9AM to transport residents anywhere on its route and to Dunbar High School. Please see the route map below:
SIGN-UP FOR ALERT LEE TO ENSURE YOU RECEIVE TIMELY UPDATES.
All city-sponsored meetings will be cancelled this week!
The city's golf courses will close until further notice at close of business on Monday, September 26th.
The Lee County School District has cancelled classes on Tuesday, September 27 and Wednesday, September 28th.
SAFETY MESSAGE FROM CITY OF FORT MYERS EMERGENCY MANAGER, KRISTY MATHEWS
We are watching the trajectory and will continue to provide updates through all city-owned platform.
In the interim, here are some protective measures you can take now:
- Make a Plan– Every household should have a disaster plan specific to the needs of their household. Every individual in the household should assist in developing the emergency plan and understand the plan.
- Build a Kit - https://www.leegov.com/publicsafety/emergencymanagement/prepare/disabilities/emergency-supply-kit
- Know Your Zone, Know Your Home –It’s important for residents to know if they live in an evacuation zone, a low-lying, flood-prone area, a mobile home or an unsafe structure during hurricane season. It is also very important for residents to know their home and its ability to withstand strong winds and heavy rain. This information will help residents better understand orders from local officials during a storm.
- Keep Gas Tanks Full
- Documentation – Know where your insurance policy is and take photos of the interior and exterior of your home.
- Sandbags:The City of Fort Myers and Lee County in general are not supporting sandbag operations; however, you may acquire sandbags from the following locations:
- The Fort Myers Beach Fire District (FMBFD) has announced sand and bags are available behind Fort Myers Beach Town Hall.
- Lehigh Acres– 3102 16th Street SW (In rear of fire station)
- Bonita Springs – 27701 Bonita Grande Drive (Station 24)
- Estero – 21500 Three Oaks Parkway (next to fire station)
- Gateway – 11901 Fairway Lakes Drive
- North Fort Myers Station 2 – 1280 Barrett Road
- Bayshore – 17350 Nalle Road (In rear of fire station)
- Alva – 2660 Styles Road
- Pine Island/ Matlacha – 5700 Pine Island Road, Bokeelia